June 13, 2010

Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes

First things first: our week at the beach was amazing. From the gorgeous weather (minus a windy Wednesday, which actually turned out to be a God send because I was a little burned from the previous day..) to the delicious foods from the BEST buffalo chicken stromboli, I mean what's not to like, stromboli and Buffalo in one thing, it was bliss, at ynot Pizza to my favorite Dulce de Leche Cheesecake at Cheesecake Factory, which I will be replicating soon, I couldn't have asked for a better week...except maybe to go back for another one? Please..

Back to the present though; this morning my dad and I did another race, this one just a 5k and when I finished I had one thing on my mind- a goood breakfast. And I knew exactly what I was craving. So I whipped up my mom's favorite oatmeal buttermilk pancakes but modified them a bit by adding some maple syrup and of course, blueberries. One cup of coffee, 3 pieces of bacon, and 4 pancakes later I was a happy camper again. Just wait to see what else I stirred up in the kitchen today..


Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes

3/4 cup oats
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, shaken well
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 cup fresh/frozen wild blueberries

Combine the oats and buttermilk in a small dish and allow to sit for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Make a well, and add in the egg, brown sugar, butter, maple syrup and oat/buttermilk mixture. Mix well. Gently fold in the blueberries.

Heat a griddle over medium heat until hot and lightly brush with melted butter or oil. In batches, measure 1/4 cup batter per pancake onto griddle and cook until bubbles appear on surface and undersides are golden-brown, about 2 minutes. Flip with a spatula and cook other side about 1 minute more.

No comments:

Post a Comment