June 14, 2010

Blue Cheese Cole Slaw



















I've never been much of a store bought or even restaurant cole slaw fan- they always seem to me to be too mayonnaisey and wet, so I've learned to create my own slaw to suit my liking perfectly. This one is deliciously perfect; with just the right about of dressing to make it all come together, plus the chunks of gorgonzola to add even more flavor, it really is the ultimate cole slaw: my family agreed. Perfect by itself or atop a pulled barbecue sandwhich, yum!


Blue Cheese Cole Slaw
Adapted from Gourmet August 2003

1/2 fat-free buttermilk
1 cup Gorgonzola cheese
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 head of green cabbage, shredded
3-4 carrots, peeled and shredded

In a blender, combine the buttermilk, 1/2 cup of the gorgonzola, vinegar and sugar. Blend until smooth, or about 25 seconds. Pour dressing over the combined cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Toss the slaw to evenly distribute the dressing, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Then, take the remaining 1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese and crumble into the slaw. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment