December 27, 2010

White Russian Truffles

Take it away is one of the best deli sandwich shops on the corner in Charlottesville. Their house dressing is to die for, and you can buy a huge bag of bread ends for only 50 cents, what college student wouldn't be in heaven?

A few Saturdays ago when my mom came to pick me to run the 1/2 marathon with my dad, we grabbed some sandwiches from take-it-away for the journey home...and I also snagged a white Russian truffle. Ever since I tried the tasty drink (and convinced people I wanted the Russians to win the Olympics because their drinks are so good) I've deemed that drink my favorite dessert, or really, anytime, drink. I tried to savor every bite as I engulfed the silky smooth center, surrounded by delicately sweet white chocolate. The combination of the two was the perfect balance, the perfect White Russian.

So I decided this Christmas instead of the usual chocolate truffles, I would try to imitate these little bites, of heaven. I succeeded, if I must say so myself.



White Russian Truffles

For trufffles
10 ounces high quality bittersweet chocolate such as Lindt or Ghiradelli, chopped
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon corn syrup
3 tablespoons Kahlua, or other coffee flavored liquor
4 ounces white chocolate


Make truffles:
Place chopped chocolate and butter in a large, microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and continue heating at 15 second intervals (stirring in between) until the chocolate is almost melted. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream and corn syrup over medium heat until simmering. Remove from the heat and pour gently over the melted chocolate. Let the combination sit for 2 minutes, and then gently stir together, working from the center out. Once combined, stir in the Kahlua until everything is evenly incorporated. Cover, and refrigerate for 4 hours or until set.

Using a melon baller or a small spoon, scoop out teaspoon sized portions of the ganache and roll into a ball. Place the truffles on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. After rolling out all of the truffles, place the baking sheet laden with yummies in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour to set before dipping.

When the truffles have set, melt the white chocolate in a small bowl with the same method previously used. Dip the truffles in the white chocolate and place back on the sheet and in the freezer to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment