December 22, 2010

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

I have to admit, I've never been much of a sugar cookie fan. The whole make the dough, let it chill, roll it out, cut shapes, bake, and then nom on a slightly crisp sugar cookie really doesn't appeal to me. And don't forget about the fact that sugar cookie recipes make tons of cookies. So not only do you have to eat them all, you really don't enjoy eating that many, it's more like a chore. I mean, if I'm going to do all that work and eat all them, at least make them more flavorful or chewy, I love chewy cookies: it's how they're meant to be.

My sugar cookie dilemma was solved however, with these little babies. And it's actually really funny, because my best friend at school showed me the recipe on another blog as a joke saying "those cookies are so ugly, who would put up not cute sugar cookies?!" I, however, was intrigued. Yes, those weren't your stereotypical sugar cookies, but they looked giant, soft, chewy, and I decided I had to make them.

Boy, am I glad I did. The batter is unlike any other cookie batter I have ever made. Light, fluffy, and so aromatic it's a wonder I didn't eat more than just scraping the bowl (..and maybe some extra off the spatula, but a baker's gotta taste her goodies!) And don't mention the fact I had three immediately when they came out of the oven...and two more later. They're that good.


Old fashioned sugar cookies
From Tate's Bake Shop

For cookies
3 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking power
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup sour cream

Make cookies:
Preheat the oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

With a standing mixer, or in a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until they are extremely light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Add the vanilla and the egg; mix well, and scrape down the sides once to ensure it all gets incorporated evenly. Add the sour cream and mix until combined. With the mixer on low, slowly add in the flour in three or four batches until combined.

Drop the cookies on the prepared baking sheets about three inches apart as the cookies will flatten and spread. Bake for 12 minutes or until they are pale/golden brown. Allow them to cool for 3 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment