August 4, 2010

Browned Butter Snickerdoodle Blondies

I really have to stop claiming that the goodies I make are the the best I've ever had because they just keep getting better. This is definitely good for my baking skills and taste buds, but my waistline? Not so much. With all this good stuff it's almost as if as soon as I have one, I want another....and then another...and then just one more tiny bite. Really, who can resist?

I've wanted to make snickerdoodle blondies ever since my good friend from school told me she made them and fell in love; she's an amazing baker too so I had to take her up on her word. Also, my sister's absolute favorite cookies growing up were snickerdoodles and since my mom rarely (if ever?) made them, I figured I've give the blondie version a shot- but with a twist. Browned butter. Boy, am I glad I did.

Just the smell of the browned butter is a heavenly aroma that some genius could probably bottle and make millions off of. Me? I'll just keep making it :) It gives the blondies almost a caramely aspect, and you know how I love caramel. These blondies were perfect. Dense, but light. Caramely but the best snickerdoodle-y taste throughout and on top. Delish.

*And, to further prove my point of how good they were: they were all gone when I finally got the chance to take a picture. And note this is a day and a half after I made them...



Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Blondies
Adapted from Brow Eyed Baker

1 cup (2 sticks) butter
2 2/3 cup flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
2 cups packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tbs. vanilla
2 tbs. white sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon

In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium low heat. Continue to cook the butter after melting, until it begins to foam heavily and then subside, about 2 minutes: once the butter has stopped foaming, it should have a rich, almost nutty smell, and the color should be a light brown. Remove from heat, pour into a large bowl, and whisk in the sugar. Set aside to cool.

Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 9x13 baking pan. In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.

Return your attention back to the browned butter/sugar mixture. With the mixer speed on low, beat the mixture to ensure they are fully incorporated. Add in the vanilla, and then the eggs one at a time, beating all together just about a minute when totaled. Beat in the flour until just mixed and then transfer to the prepared baking pan; the mixture will be thick.

In a small bowl, combine the remaining cinnamon and sugar and then sprinkle over top the blondies. Bake for 25 minutes or until the surface has a springy feeling when touched. Cool completely before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment