August 1, 2010

Beef Tacos



































I've never been a taco bell fan, but give me a chipotle burrito or two and I'm in heaven. Yes, I have eaten two chipotle burritos before: this girl can eat!

It's just something about the tenderness, the smoky spicy combination of the barbacoa that just seems to make your taste buds sing with joy. That's what I was aiming for with this beef taco recipe- and I have to say I think I achieved it...and maybe even went a little beyond that.

Normally I'm all for the toppings: give me peppers and onions, corn and tomato salsa, guacamole and cheese, and then a heavy, almost drowning, bath of sour cream. Tonight though I stuck to the basics, just a little bit of cheese on a flour tortilla and into my belly. And man, I think it was just what I needed. The taste of the meat was impeccable, right on point, and with the minimal toppings it shone as the star of my meal. I can't wait for leftovers tomorrow...or maybe even a little later if I can't stay away :)


Beef Tacos

2-3 lbs. Chuck roast
2 tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. spicy Hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 chipotle in adobe
1 tbs. tomato paste
1 cup beef/chicken stock
4 garlic cloves, smashed then chopped
1 medium sweet onion, diced

In a large skillet, preferably non-stick, heat the olive oil. Combine the chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper and generously rub on both sides of the chuck. Once the oil is hot, sear the meat on medium high heat for 2 minutes on each side. This forms a nice crust and gives the meat an ever better, more intense flavor.

Remove the meat from the skillet and place in a crock pot, cover with the chopped garlic and onions. Add the stock into the skillet and use a wooden spoon to scrape off the yummy brown bits. Stir in the tomato paste and chipotle pepper and allow to cook for 5 minutes, or until the sauce has just started to thicken. Pour over the meat back into the crock pot.

Cook on low for 6 hours. Upon being finished, used two forks (or tongs) to pull apart the meat and plate up for tacos, nachos, or anything you wish!

3 comments:

  1. beef tacos are the bomb. the awesome thing about living in california is the taco trucks. i like to use taco truck as a verb. let's taco truck it. do you taco truck? i'm taco trucking right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmhhh, yummy! I love tacos.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never experienced the taco truck but now I want to! Guess I have an excuse to come out and visit my Aunt :)

    ReplyDelete