July 21, 2010

Greek Burgers


































Feta: my new addiction. I crumble it on my salad, sandwiches, pasta, pizza even some breakfast skillets. You name it, I feta it. And yes, I now use feta as a verb. So once I stumbled upon this recipe at one of my new favorite blogs to follow I just had to try it. Everyone in my family loves a good juicy burger, and I have to admit for being as non-traditional as these burgers are, they really are my new favorite (topping even the bacon, caramelized onion and Gorgonzola burger which was my previous favorite) and I can't wait to make them again. Not to mention the fact that my mom made some scrumptious sour dough French rolls to stick them in- heaven :)

Greek Burgers
Adapted from Just Eat It

1 pound organic lean ground beef
2/3 cup plain bread crumbs
1/3 cup roasted red pepper spread (Trader Joes has an amazing one)
1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
2 tbs. fresh oregano, chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup frozen (8 oz. thawed for cooking) chopped spinach
1 extra-large egg, beaten
3 garlic cloves, crushed and then minced


In a large bowl combine all ingredients, working the mixture gently with your hands until all the ingredients are incorporated and evenly distributed. Divide into four patties and flatten gently.

Prior to grilling, make sure you almost douse the grill with spray as these have a high possibility of sticking due to the additives. Cook on each side about 7 minutes and serve on a fresh baked bun with chunky feta sauce!


Chunky Feta Sauce:
1/2 + 1/4 cup cup feta cheese, divided and crumbled
1/4 cup Greek style yogurt
1 tbs. mayonnaise
2 garlic cloves, chopped
salt & pepper to taste

In a food processor or hand emulsifier, pulse all ingredients sans 1/4 cup feta until smooth. Add in the remaining feta and pulse just once or twice so the sauce is chunky.

No comments:

Post a Comment