June 2, 2010

Blueberry-Lime Morning Cake
























You might see the title to this recipe and think to yourself "what is this crazy girl thinking? Lime AND blueberries, that's not right?" But really, it's way more than right, in fact, it's amazing. Everyone is so used to the usual pairing of lemon and blueberries- they pretty much go hand in hand when it comes to baking for breakfasts, brunches, or even some desserts. I mean, people even paint their kitchens blue and yellow sometimes and have a bowl of yellow lemons prominently displayed on their counter, coincidence?

Anyways, back to the lime and blueberries: it really is just fabulous. If you thought lemon and blueberries tasted fresh, the lime exceeds that and goes way beyond. It's not even that, it's more of the unexpected greatness and explosion of flavor when you take the first bite, kind of like a surprise birthday party- you're shocked and overwhelmed with excitement. Yup, you get that from this cake. Not to mention how creamy, moist (yes, I just said the infamous "m" word) and light the actual cake is from the sour cream...I tell you, sour cream makes everything better.

I really wish I had a better camera so I could really capture the beauty of this cake, or at least the lighting in my kitchen was just a tad bit brighter at times, but I make do with my dinky little Nikon flash camera, or at least try my best.

I should also mention that yesterday I made probably the most intense and delicious cake for my best friends birthday...more details on that later



Blueberry-Lime Morning Cake

6 ounces (3/4 a stick) of softened butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
Zest of 1 lime
3 eggs
7/8 cup sour cream
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen work fine
A sprinkle of confectioners sugar for dusting

Line a 9x13 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Cream soft butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the lime zest. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add in the sour cream, and mix until combined.

In a separate bowl, toss the blueberries with 1/4 cup flour (this prevents them from all sinking to the bottom of the cake, thanks Ina!). Combine the remaining flour and baking powder and sift the mixture into the batter as to remove any nasty clumps that could ruin the texture of the cake, and mix just until combined. Gently fold in the berries. *I used the frozen wild blueberries my mom buys in bulk at costco, and took them out of the freezer just before using them so they don't turn the entire cake purple upon defrosting and breaking.

Spread the batter evenly in the pan. Bake at 350 F for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the cake. Let cool completely, and dust with confectioner's sugar just before serving, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment