June 29, 2010

Apple Granola Crisp





























While different types of cookies, cake, ice cream and all the other tantalizing desserts that come out of this kitchen over the years are always different recipes, varying from chocolate to vanilla caramel or even white chocolate cranberry (which I must say use to be one of my favorites), one recipe has stayed the same- apple crisp. Located on page 83 of our treasured Montfort Academy cookbook, the page has endured orange juice spills, sticky sugar granules, and the occasional dusting of flour. It really is a delicious crisp, a juicy bottom that is perfect for serving alongside ice cream, topped by a cinnamon and buttery top that just years to be broken and crunched down to get in my belly as soon as possible. Apple crisp: it's a staple in the Arquiette house.


After browsing through other recipes and variations though, I wanted to switch it up a bit, and see if I could make my own version of apple crisp that wasn't as gooey on the bottom, and more hearty. A crisp that would be delicious for breakfast alongside Greek yogurt, with a chunky bottom and a hearty, and semi healthy topping so I didn't feel too bad having it for my first meal of the day. All in all, my venture was a success. With a good 1:1 ratio of apples to topping, this crisp proved to be the perfect way to start out the day, and my family loved it. New staple? I think so.


Apple Granola Crisp

6 granny smith apples, cored, peeled, and sliced thin
2 tbs. light rum
1 tsp. vanilla extract
juice and zest of one orange
juice of one lemon
1 tbs. cornstarch
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter


Preheat oven to 375F and butter a 9x13 glass baking dish. In a 2 cup measuring cup, combine rum, extract, fruit juices and zest. Whisk to combine.

Place sliced apple in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the cornstarch and then pour liquid mixture on top, tossing to combine. Pour mixture over the bottom of the baking dish.

In another large bowl, combine flour, oats, coconut, cinnamon and sugar.* Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles a course meal, then sprinkle over apples, covering equally. Bake for 35 minutes or until the top is beautifully golden brown.

*Due to the high controversy over using nuts in some dishes in this house, I omitted nuts so I could please everyone (I mean I know I'm not a morning person, so why be the cause for a bad start to someones day?) but it would be declicious with some chopped walnuts*

No comments:

Post a Comment